Tuesday 1 March 2011

Focus Week 4 - EcoBuild! Day 1

Ecobuild 2011 has been contructed to be the biggest ever as it is now in a new location of London's ExCeL. The number of exhibitors have increased this year to over 1300 and is aimed to be double trouble compared to the previous year.
Ecobuild aim to focus on areas of sustainable design and construction, and to be a catalyst towards a low carbon built environment and plan to make the country the greenest.

When I visited Ecobuild I noticed that the main exhibitors attending was those of buisness interest, they seemed to be involved into the construction and technological side.
Ecobuild was split into a three day event with different seminars each day.








The priority of Day one was "Sustainability" and "Energy".

I started the day by attending a lecture about living walls, although being confused by the amount of imformation that was being digested was of BEES, A great start realising that I was on the wrong side of the lecture room I had attended a lecture on Bees and there living and was too embarrassed to leave. The main aspects of this lecture were Bees in the types of hives, urban beekeepers, bee hotels, and communtity beekeeping. This topic reminded me of the airplot competition project. WHOOPS!

Seing as I missed the beginning of the living walls seminar I decided to attend the last ten minutes of living walls. There focus was based on installation systems and maintenance oppotunities for planting taking account of water usage.

I then stopped at the seminar "Demonstrating 2050 in 2015", the title itself engaged me to it, seeing it was about the future we are planning for. Outlining prospectives for 2050 were mainly based on population increase from 6 to 10 billion, Climate Change (Couldnt leave that out could they) - adaption and mitigation, Reducing carbon dioxide emissions, manufactoring and a Built Environment.
This topic really had me thinking of how a few sustainable process as easy as recyling can benifit the world for OUT future. There were many in depth proposals of community based sustainability.

After lunch I resumed to the intake on seminars by attending sessions back to back on "What is sustainable material" and "Innovation in sustainble materials". I felt that these two seminars held information that can develop my study further.

From the first of the two I got the information that sustainable materials consisted of dry wall stoning, rammed earth, traditional carpenting and lime rendering.
Followed on from this seminar was the study on how they are used, many materials were used for the purpose of buildings, landscape and furniture.

I finished the day by walking around and seeing exhibitions of Ecobuild.

No comments: